Many of us take notes in our Bibles as part of our personal time, during a seminar or listening to a pastor or teacher. The idea for this article came to me as I thought about the wealth of information contained in our personal notes and how these notes when re-read at various points of our lives still offer inspiration and insight.
I decided to write "Notes From My Bible" for two reasons:
- To encourage others to continue to do this (or to start) and to show how much knowledge is gained from snippets.
- The article is written in a light-hearted tone and is intended to whet the appetite.
- If the _ _ _ _ _ fits, you're the wrong size! (world goes in to the blank) I was in my late teens when I heard this, and I remember thinking I don't ever want the world to fit. But this one line had more impact on me than a sermon. It's powerful.
- I will counsel you with mine eye! Psalm 32:8 …I was attending a women's bible study and the speaker said that she uses this verse with her children to reinforce the fact that she can look at them a certain way and they will know that they're in trouble. Of course she said this with a twinkle in her eye!
- Children need pray and love. One of the best gift parents give their children is the gift of prayer.
- If there is no mess, then there is no message! If there is no test, then there is no testimony!
- 8/1/88 Prayer List – every time I see this, it reminds me that certain things are timeless. I still pray the same things today!
Career direction – I need to feel that I'm doing something important and fulfilling
Families – improved relationships
A place to live (I was about to get married!)
Yearning to know the Word better
- 5/7/89 – The more I suffer the stronger I become….we faint not. 2 Corinthians 4:7-18. Ultimately we are victorious. Everything that happens is for our good.
- The Lord builds self-esteem! Self-esteem is an on/off thing for me. I've reached the stage of my life where I know and am assured that He finds me worthy and that shoots any low self-esteem issues through the roof.
- Impossible verses – Luke 1:37, Luke 18:27, Jeremiah 32:17,27 – Verses that strengthen our faith.
- The number of times the word, WORD appears in Psalm 119. I then go on to list a page full of examples like "thy WORD is a lamp unto my feet or a light unto my path (v105)," and "If the WORD is hidden in our hearts it becomes harder to sin (v11)". You'd be amazed at how powerful and far-reaching God's Word is once you go through this exercise.
- An acronym for studying God's Word based on 2 Timothy 2:15
Tenaciously – persistently
Unfeignedly – genuine and sincere
Diligently – steady, earnest and energetic
Yield – If we study the Word of God, we yield to the Spirit naturally.
- Finding your personal gifts. Yet another acronym which offers guidance on determining your gifts, for we've all been given a gift.
C – competence; what are you good at? Have others encouraged you in this area?
L – Love; what do I love doing? Discover the issues that concern you.
U – understanding yourself and what God is doing in your life.
E – experience; what has life prepared you for?
S – situation; where am I situated? Where do I spend my time?
These are only some of the snippets found on any white space in my Bible. I've run out of pages, and now use a separate binder to take notes as the Holy Spirit moves me.
Do you take notes in your Bible? What's the best note you've ever written? How do you remember a great sermon? Please share in the comments.