By nature I am exuberant, outgoing, and naturally possess a voice that carries - if I am called to speak I don't have a problem projecting and I don't necessarily need a microphone.
My vision of what a gentle quiet spirit looked like and my nature were diametrically opposed. Even in this I learned a powerful lesson - God can take anything and change it especially if it's beneficial and we are willing to submit.
I didn't know how it would play out. I surely did not have a personality change after requesting this in pray, as a matter of fact it has been a slow process.
Over time I've seen many changes:
- The need to be heard is diminished as is the need to be right
- The ability to have difficult conversations without raising my voice
- Becoming more contented
- Not easily offended
- A change in vocabulary (hint: "perhaps" is one of the most powerful words in the English Language; also instead of saying "that sucks" for example, I would describe a situation as unfortunate which feels more soothing and less inflammatory)
- There is a time for everything
- Anger and resentment are reduced.
- Attainment of inner beauty is a process - even if you are a gentle soul there are still things in your nature that can be polished.
This verse speaks to working on the inside so that we are beautiful on the outside and a blessing to others. Today we are so focused on the outside, that we sometimes neglect the inside. The meek shall inherit the earth, but they will not be trampled over. I'm a work in progress, what about you?
Do you have a desire for a gentle and quiet spirit in the context of what God desires for you?