While we never know what to give each other at Christmas, there are many gifts that we do give:
- The gift of ourselves
- The gift of time
- The gift of listening
- The gift of consideration
- The gift of laughter
- The gift of commitment
- The gift of music
- It's not about you.
- You can't make another person change.
- Love is a choice that you make daily.
- Divorce is not an option.
- We may go to bed mad, but we won't stay mad.
- Things have to run their course - this may take a couple of hours or several days but it's going to be all right.
- Don't keep score; we are not in a competition but a relationship. Keeping score leads to resentment.
- Going through rough patches makes you and your relationship stronger.
- You don't need to go looking for trouble.
- We are constantly changing - I am not the same person I was 25 years ago, neither is he. Though some changes are for the better, secretly I think we all wish we could stay the same as when we first met.
- Don't ever stop communicating as this is the glue that holds everything together.
- Communication takes many forms - but keep doing it.
- Be grateful - take nothing for granted. I'm grateful for the person I am because of marriage.
Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the gift of marriage if you're married.
PS - I can't find my wedding album. I hope it shows up before my anniversary.