This can last for an hour, a day, a month or a while. So how do you rev yourself up?
Here are some things that have worked for me:
- Stepping back - sometimes getting a different perspective really provides the impetus we need to get moving.
- Knowing what's at stake - it maybe that the kids or husband are depending on you.
- Recognizing that you are worthy - and what you are doing is worthwhile.
- Physical activity - anything (within reason) that's sustained and gets the blood flowing
- Playing a game with a child.
- Taking a long drive - I live in California so driving along PCH eventually becomes very relaxing and clears my head.
- Going to the beach and walking along the shore.
- Talking something through - sometimes with a good friend, a trusted person or a random stranger in a coffee shop. Because we're more similar than different, just verbalizing may be all that we need to get going.
- Quiet meditation (is there any other kind?).
- Dealing with today's challenges - not tomorrow's or the whole week, just today.
- Worrying less and trusting more.
- Just doing it - here's an anecdote. I enjoy running; I like what it does for me and how I feel after I run. But 99.9% of the time the hardest part of running for me is getting out there and getting started. Once I start, all doubt is erased and my focus is simply on enjoying myself and finishing.
So the next time you feel unmotivated, uninspired, or blah fight it as much as you can; even surrendering is fighting. You won't stay this way for long - there's too much to live for.
Do you have anything to add to this list?