Because of the pleasantly perfumed smells of certain women, it became an aspiration of mine. I associated a distinct smell with being a mature woman and as a mature woman, I wanted to have a smell associated with me so that once you get a whiff of it, you made that association and thought of me. I've been on the hunt for my signature fragrance, but I have not found it yet.
Much as the smell of perfume makes for an enjoyable physical atmosphere and a pleasant association. there are multiple things that we are told are sweet-smelling to God in the spiritual realm. “Sweet-smelling” denotes the ability of a substance to release an aroma that is attractive to the olfactory sense, making for a pleasant atmosphere.
Sweet smelling in the Bible is often associated with sacrifice.
- The smoke of Noah's sacrifice after the flood is called sweet to the Lord. Genesis 8:20,21 [KJV]
- The Levitical burnt offering is said to be a sweet savor, an offering made by fire unto the Lord. These offerings were a dedication of the priests and they served as a reminder from generation to generation that the Lord was a deliverer and indeed God. Exodus 29:18, 25 [KJV]
- In the New Testament Christ made the ultimate sacrifice for us and was considered a sweet smelling savor. Ephesians 5:2 [KJV] He was considered an offering and a sacrifice. An offering denotes no blood and a sacrifice indicates there was blood. Christ was both for us - an atoning sacrifice that was pleasing to God.
- Paul considered a free will sacrificial offering a sweet smell pleasing to God. Philippians 4:18 [KJV]
- Our prayers - the prayers of the saints, are a sweet smell to God. Revelation 5:8 [KJV]
May our lives be a sweet smell to God; may we love like He loved; pray and be generous.This may not come easy - but the greater the sacrifice the greater the sweet smell. I hope my life is like a signature fragrance, sweet-smelling to God.
Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:2 [NLT]
Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. 2 Corinthians 2:15 [NLT]
Does your smell associate you with Christ?